Monday, July 03, 2006

The Audience


When I walked into E's home, it was filled with children. Her eldest daughter was there with E's grandchildren and they were preparing their lunch of brats and potato chips. I smiled and walked around the scooter that was deposited on the floor and headed back to E's room.

E was sleeping through my work with her today, so I didn't get to talk to her very much. I like to talk to the clients while I'm there and learn a little bit about their history. I find that it usually is a good distraction for them, and it sometimes ends in laughter, which we all know is the best medicine.

I was having a little bit of a frustrating day today and was disappointed that she wasn't able to respond, but I tried not to let the time be about me, and stay focused on her care. As I was working I heard the mother say to the children, "why don't you go in with the massage therapist and watch her" My first thought was "are you kidding! I'm trying to work in here!" and then I heard the mother say "she can show you how to give grandma a massage"

Before I let myself feel inconvenienced or grumpy about it, I told myself. "This is why you are here! Do your job!" So I welcomed the five children into the room and showed them what I was doing. I encouraged them to give their grandma a massage and for them just to remember to be gentle and reminded them that it would feel really good. I told them to practice on each other"

I hope that I accomplished two things today. I hope that I gave these children a way to connect to their grandmother in the time that she has left. I hope that I helped them realized that you don't have to be afraid of touching a dying person. They are so young and this is the time when these ideas about life and death start to form. I hope I helped these children as much I am trying to help E.

Second, I hope that I helped the field of massage therapy. I wished I had been more prepared today to teach the children today. I want my community to know about the therapeutic affects of massage and the uses of it outside a spa. I think introducing this to the grandchildren could possibly change or form their views on the craft, which will change the future of massage.

It is a huge struggle for MT to be funded for hospice these days. I'm lucky that I actually get paid. Most hospices rely on volunteers, if they use MT at all.

It doesn't feel like a big day today. It feels like a long tired one. It feels like I didn't accomplish much, but maybe I did. Hopefully writing things like this down will help my realize the affect this work has on me and the world around me.

No comments: